Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Second Strip and Cheaters

I got the first strip on and then...No I didn't die. I am just one of the lamest bloggers in cyberspace.

To cut to the chase, by the end of the warm weather last year, I got the hull stripped and faired (sanded to a smooth shape), but the weather got too cold to do the fiberglass on the hull. Then it got too cold to do much of anything in the garage. I have started on the deck this spring.

Now to pick up the arc of the narrative where I left off...

After the first strip I put on the...wait for it...second strip. The Guillemot has upswept ends, so to take some of the tension out of the strips going on after the first strip, one can leave space between strips at the end and put in relatively triangular pieces called cheaters. And that is exactly what I did.



Above: the 2nd strip at the bow. In order to get the second strip into position I had to do some steaming and bending. In order to get it and the first strip to stay in place, I made small holder clamps from pieces of cedar strips and screwed them to the form.



The amount of space between the two strips was wider than a single strip, so I shaped two pieces to fill the gap. This was done by sawing the fill-in pieces to approximate shape and then planing them for as tight a fit as I could get. Note the gap left in the narrow end of the triangular area. More on this later.



A close-up of the gap.




Once I trimmed the cheater strips to shape and with the correct bevel, I glued them into place. Here it is with staples, tape, and a clamp to keep it in position.


Next time: undoing cheater strips. Yep, I made a mistake.

No comments: