Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fixing a Big Gap

I was a little overzealous when trimming the ends of one pair of strips and ended up with a gap of 1/16th of an inch or so. When I fit shavings into it, the grain direction was noticeable, so I decided to make a patch that would match the grain. Here are the steps:

The gap.


I cut small pieces off the end of a strip with matching color. The angle matches the angle where the strips at the gap should meet.


I glued them together so the grain formed a chevron where the two halves of the patch piece meet.


After trimming the patch piece to a size where it fit into the gap, I glued it into place. It stood above the surface of the kayak.


After the glue dried, I sanded the patch flush and the patch is almost invisible.

2 comments:

Doug DiNatale said...

Pretty cool, TJ!

Tim Sheehan said...

Thanks, Doug. I'm not so much building this boat as I am repairing it into existence.