Sunday, May 21, 2006

Replacing headrest speakers in a 1992 Mazda Miata

I am fortunate to own a 1992 Mazda Miata with 100+ k miles on it. As old as it is, it's in good shape. I will be driving it to San Jose in a couple of weeks, so last week I decided to replace the worn out, original headrest speakers. This post is for the benefit of anyone else undertaking this excercise. Please keep in mind that this is what I did. What you do to your car is at your own risk!


Removing the speaker box.
Originally uploaded by TimsPottery.
Removing the speaker box.

Start by unzipping the zipper on top of the headrest. Unscrew the top and bottom screws holding the speaker box in.


Removing the original speaker from its box.

Unscrew the four corner screws holding the speaker in the speaker box. Then pry the old speaker out with a screwdriver. Yes, this destroys the old speaker.

Once the speaker is out of the box, disconnect the leads to the speaker. These should slide right off.


Force out the plug where the wires enter the box.

I did this by prying and pushing with a flat blade screwdriver.


Mark the foam for the new speakers.

I bought some 3 1/2 inch Clarion coaxial speakers. These are 4 ohm speakers as were the speakers that I removed from the old boxes. I assume it is important to match the impedence.


Snip the foam to make room for the new speakers.

I just poked and snipped with a pair of pointed scissors.



Install the new speakers.
Originally uploaded by TimsPottery.
Install the new speakers.

The clips on the wire leads fit the tabs on the new speakers. I simply slid the clips on and shoved the new speakers into the cutouts in the foam then closed up the headrest. The pressure against the speakers is holding them in place.

No comments: